This area is part of the site of the Battle of Stratton, a battle of the South West campaign of the First English Civil War which took place on 16th May 1643. It was fought between the Cornish Royalist forces of Sir Ralph Hopton and the Parliamentarian troops of the Earl of Stamford. It resulted in a defeat for the Parliamentarians, despite their greater numbers and ‘defendable’ position, confirming Royalist control of Cornwall whilst destroying the Parliamentarian field army in Devon. For those with further interest, an information board at the Battle site gives much more information on the conflict, whilst The Heritage Centre houses a resident exhibition as well as a large original painting by the celebrated artist, Robert Lenkiewicz.
The land was purchased by Bude-Stratton Town Council in 1997, using grants and locally raised funds, to not only preserve this important historic site but equally to provide free community access for leisure purposes to walks and an environment full of wildlife, flora and fauna.
The total area is 30 acres or 12.1 hectares and includes woodland, river, water meadow and grazing pasture with public footpaths and access routes.