Due to an insufficient number of candidates for the number of seats, the Town Council have vacancies for 6 Councillors. In pursuance of the Representation of the Peoples Act 1985 s21 [a] these vacancies will be filled by co-option. The vacancies are:
- Bude Ward – 2 vacancies • Flexbury and Poughill Ward – 2 vacancies • Stratton Ward – 2 vacancies
If you are interested in applying to fill any of these vacancies and serving the community as a Town Councillor please complete the Co-option Application Form which can be obtained by contacting the Council Offices (details below) or by downloading it below.
Please note that you do not have to live within the ward you wish to apply for, however you must meet the following criteria:
Qualifications for being a local councillor:
You must be over 18 years of age and;
- be an elector
- be a Commonwealth Citizen (which includes being a British citizen) or a citizen of the European Union
- for the whole of the 12 months before the date of the co-option you must either
- be registered as a local government elector for the parish
- have occupied, as owner or tenant, any land or premises in the parish
- have your principal or only place of work in the parish
- have resided in the parish or within 4.8 km thereof
Further information on reasons for disqualification can be found on the application form.
Completed applications must be returned to the Town Clerk no later than:
12 noon on Thursday 25th May 2017
Candidates for co-option will be required to attend the Full Council meeting on Thursday 1st June 2017 at 7.00pm, to make a short, 2 minute, address to the Town Council giving your reasons for wishing to be considered as a Town Councillor. The Town Council will then consider applicants. Further information can be found on the Application Form.
For more information about the role of a Town Councillor please follow the links below or you can telephone the Town Clerk on 01288 353576 for an informal discussion.