Councillor Vacancies at Bude-Stratton Town Council

Are you passionate about making a positive impact in your local community? Bude-Stratton Town Council seeks dedicated individuals to become councillors and contribute to the governance and development of our vibrant area. No formal qualifications are required, but a genuine interest in the local community and its well-being is essential.

Key Skills

As a councillor, some key skills include:

  • Passion for Community Service: A desire to help and support the local community is paramount.
  • Concern for the Local Area: A genuine interest in the area and the welfare of its residents.
  • Utilisation of Skills: The ability to apply personal or professional skills and expertise for the benefit of the community.
  • Interest in Community Facilities and Services: An interest in the facilities and services available in the community is beneficial.

To be eligible to become a councillor, you must:

– Be over 18 years of age.

– Be an elector Commonwealth Citizen (including British citizens), or a citizen of the European Union for the entire 12 months before the co-option date.

Finally you must either:

  • be registered as a local government elector for the parish
    • OR occupy, as owner or tenant, any land or premises in the parish
    • OR have your principal or only place of work in the parish
    • OR reside in the parish or within 4.8 km thereof

Councillor Vacancies

There are currently no vacancies for Councillors.

Vacancy Filling Process

There are a number of stages that must be followed when a vacancy arises on the Town Council:

Firstly Cornwall Council issue a “Notice of Vacancy”, this gives local electors the opportunity to call for an election. If ten or more electors write to Cornwall Council an election path is followed. 

The election process is undertaken by Cornwall Council and all notices are published by them, though repeated on the Town Council website and notice boards. If there is a call for an election, Cornwall Council will issue a “Notice of Election” this gives the timescales for candidates to return their nomination forms to the appropriate Cornwall Council office. Cornwall Council then publish “A Statement of Persons Nominated” listing all the eligible candidates followed by “Notice of Poll” listing the details of the polling day. After the election, Cornwall Council publish the results and the winning candidate takes their seat on the Town Council.

If there is not a call for an election, The Town Council will put out a notice to fill the vacancy by Co-option. Application Forms are submitted to the Town Clerk. All applications are then considered at the next Full Council, where an appointment will be made.

How to Vote

You must bring your ID to Vote

New rules came in for voters at elections from May this year. These new rules apply to elections for UK Parliament, Police and Crime Commissioner, local councils and referendums. 

Voters must now show photo identification (ID) before they can vote. People voting by post do not need to provide ID.

To see which types of photo ID are acceptable and what to do if you don’t have suitable photo ID, please follow this link to Cornwall Council’s website for the full details: Cornwall Council – Voter ID