Councillor Vacancies

Bude Ward– 11 Councillors- 0 Vacancies

Stratton Ward– 6 Councillors- 0 Vacancies 

Hele Ward– 1 Councillor- 0 Vacancies 

There are a number of stages that must be followed when a vacancy arises on the Town Council:

Firstly Cornwall Council issue a “Notice of Vacancy”, this gives local electors the opportunity to call for an election. If ten or more electors write to Cornwall Council an election path is followed

The election process is undertaken by Cornwall Council and all notices are published by them, though repeated on the Town Council website and notice boards. If there is a call for an election, Cornwall Council will issue a “Notice of Election” this gives the timescales for candidates to return their nomination forms to the appropriate Cornwall Council office. Cornwall Council then publish “A Statement of Persons Nominated” listing all the eligible candidates followed by “Notice of Poll” listing the details of the polling day. After the election, Cornwall Council publish the results and the winning candidate takes their seat on the Town Council.

If there is not a call for an election, The Town Council will put out a notice to fill the vacancy by Co-option. Application Forms are submitted to the Town Clerk. All applications are then considered at the next Full Council, where an appointment will be made.

Become a Councillor

There are no formal qualifications required to become a Councillor, but having an interest in the local area, community are important.

Some key skills of a councillor include: 

  • Passionate about helping your local community
  • Concerned about the local area and the wellbeing of its residents
  • Able to use your business or personal skills and expertise to benefit the community
  • Interested in the facilities and services in the community

You must be over 18 years of age and;

  • be an elector
  • be a Commonwealth Citizen (which includes being a British citizen) or a citizen of the European Union for the whole of the 12 months before the date of the co-option

Finally you must either;

  • be registered as a local government elector for the parish
    • OR occupy, as owner or tenant, any land or premises in the parish
    • OR have your principal or only place of work in the parish
    • OR reside in the parish or within 4.8 km thereof

Staff Vacancies


Certain property owned by the Town Council is released for tender.

The Lockgates tearoom has a five year term and is next up for tender in 2025. 

The Barge unit workshops each have a three year tender and this will be reviewed again in 2023.

The ice cream kiosk runs for seven quarters at a time. 

Newsletter Signup